It’s Sunday morning 8:37AM and I have nothing better to do than writing a new blog entry. Today it’s about collaborations between (members of) Radiohead and other musicians. Of which there have been a lot. And some of the music produced is so beautiful it might just be your Sunday morning inspiration.
I’ve been collecting Radiohead’s music for a while now, and that includes (like a real fan) everything. All their albums, live recordings, bootlegs, foreign issues, limited editions, rare recordings..and duets, collaborations (mostly Thom Yorke doing the vocals) and others. Sometimes I know the other artists, sometimes I don’t. I find this part of collecting quite fun. Especially when one finds something totally unexpected.
Last week I was watching the Japanese movie Kokuhaku (Confessions) and I could have sworn I heard a very familiar voice. And indeed, after a little searching I found that Thom Yorke was singing Last Flowers, a track featured on the In Rainbows Bonus Disc. Beautiful.
So I thought I’d make a little list of the collaborations I am aware of (to be found on YouTube), but there might be more. If you spot something..please do let me know! Enjoy.
- Sparklehorse – Wish You Were Here (1997) Pink Floyd cover
- Drugstore – El Presidente (1998), new edit 2013
- Venus in Furs – Bittersweet, 2HB, Ladytron (1998) Roxy Music covers from the movie Velvet Goldmine
- PJ Harvey – This Mess We’re In, One Line, Beautiful Feeling (2000) personal favorites, from the album ‘Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea’
- Bjork – I’ve Seen It All (2000)
- UNKLE – Rabbit In Your Headlights (1998) personal favorite, look for the original video, it’s absolutely awesome
- Modeselektor – The White Flash (2007)
- Bjork – Nattura (2008)
- Flying Lotus – ..And The World Laughs With You (2010) personal favorite
- Burial & Four Tet – Mirror, Ego (2011)
- Modeselektor – Shipwreck, This (2011) personal favorites
- Flying Lotus – Electric Candyman (2012)
- Mark Pritchard – Beautiful People (2016)